Dhokla is a very famous snack in Gujarat. This snack is very yummy. It is one of the specialties of Gujarati food and is enjoyed as a snack. It is soft and spongy and tastes super-delicious. This is a simple snack recipe that can be prepared anytime.
People confuse in Khaman Dhokla and White Dhokla. In Khaman Dhokla main ingredient is gram flour or bean. Khaman Dhoklaa is sweet and sour and in white dhokla, the main ingredient is rice flour and split chickpeas. White Dhokla is sour and a little bit spicy.
It is prepared in many ways, like Rawa Dhoklaa, Sour Dhoklaa, Paneer Dhoklaa, Jhatpat Dhoklaa, Besan Dhoklaa,khatta dhoklaa, Sandwich Dhoklaa, Cheese Dhoklaa, Mixed Dal Dhoklaa, Toor Dal Dhoklaa etc.Here is how to make Dhokla by Gujrati Style step by step.
- Gram flour or besan – 1 cup
- Turmeric powder – pinch
- Salt – Add to taste
- Lemon juice – 2 spoon
- Baking soda – 1 teaspoon
- Sugar -1 teaspoon
- Refined oil -1 tablespoon
- Mustard seeds -1 teaspoon
- Asafoetida – 1 teaspoon
- Water – 2 cup
- Coconut powder – 1/2 cup
- Chopped Coriander leaves – 1/2 cup
How To Make Dhokla
- Take a bowl and add gram flour, sugar, water.
- Mix well all these ingredients.
- To make a thick mixture, there should not be any solid particles in the mix.
- Then add turmeric powder to it and mix well.
- In the meantime, pour 2 glasses of water in a utensil you will use to make Dhokla and place it on the gas to heat.
- Also keep a stand in the utensil on which you can keep a plate filled with gram flour mixture.
- Grease the utensil with oil.
- Put lemon juice, salt, in the gram flour mixture.
- Now put baking soda in it and stir the mixture with a spoon.
- As soon as air bubbles appear in the mixture pour it on the plate.
- And keep the plate on the stand.
- The water in the utensil has heated and you can steam coming out from it.
- Cover the lid.
- And cook Dhokla for almost 10 minutes on a high flame.
- To check Dhokla is cooked or not – Check with a knife after 15 minutes by inserting it inside the dhokla. The mixture should not stick to the knife.
- If the knife comes out clean, turn off the gas.
- Allow the dish to cool and then cut into pieces.
Preparing the Tadka
- Heat up oil in a small size kadhai.
- When the oil is hot add mustard seed and let it splutter.
- Then add green chilies and asafoetida.
- Then add sugar and salt and water.
- Turn off the gas once the water comes to boil.
- Cool Completely.
- Pour this Tadka over the Dhoklas with a spoon.
- Garnish with green coriander leaves and grated coconut.
- Serve hot and fresh Dhokla with coconut chutney.