Puran Poli is a traditional Maharashtrian sweet Dish. In Festive Season most of the Maharashtrian houses make Puran Poli. Its mouthwatering recipe. It is normally made in lunch because it’s very heavy to digest at night. We will show you how to make dough for Puran Poli, how to make Puran and how to make Puran Poli. Let’s make Puran Poli.
Ingredients: For Puran:
- Chana dal – 1 cup
- Sugar – 3/4 cup
- Nutmeg powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cardamom powder (elaichi) – 1/2 tsp
Ingredients: For Dough:
- Wheat flour – 2 cups
- Maida – 1 cup
- Water – 2 cups
- Salt to taste
- Ghee – 1 cup
For Making Puran
- Take chana dal and wash it and add 2 cups water and soak it for at least 1 hour.
- Transfer the dal with water in the cooker and cook on medium heat until 4 whistles.
- Drain the dal and set aside.
- Do not throw away this water. You can use it to make gravy or Amati. Also add a little mashed dal.
- Mash the dal with a potato masher. No grains of dal should be left behind.
- Transfer the dal into a deep pan and add sugar, Nutmeg and Cardamom powder. Mix well and cook on medium heat.
- Stir continuously and cook until Puran thickens up.
- Cool Completely. Puran is ready and keep aside
How to make Puran Poli Dough
- Combine wheat flour, maida, salt, ghee, water in a big plate and knead into a soft dough. The dough should be a little thin. Transfer the dough into a bowl, cover with wet cloth and rest for 15 minutes.
How to make Puran Poli
- Take a medium size ball of dough and make a bowl
- Stuff Puran in that bowl and seal it from all sides.
- Dip it in dry flour and roll medium size poli.
- Cook on a tava (griddle) over a medium flame. When Tava is enough hot, put some ghee and then transfer the rolled poli on pan.
- Roast from one side for just 1 minutes until small bubbles begin to appear.
- Flip over and spread a little ghee.
- Flip over again and spread ghee on the other side again.
- Roast from both sides.
- Puran Poli is ready. Serve with kheer or aamras.